At Star Macs, the privacy and security of our community is a top priority for us. We’re always identifying ways to help make our community as secure as possible for everyone.
Our aim is for everyone to feel confident that customers and Suppliers on Star Macs are who they say they are. That’s why when you book a machinery—or when you become a Supplier—we may need to verify your personal information, such as your legal name, address, phone number, and other contact details. We may also ask for a photo of your Government ID and/or a selfie.
In this article
- Why we verify your identity
- What we may ask you for
- When we verify your identity
- What we share
Why we verify your identity
Verifying the identity of customers and Suppliers helps us to:
- Check that people are who they say they are
- Do background checks (for safety and security, sanctions etc.)
- Understand if a malicious actor has taken control of an account
- Investigate safety and security issues such as illegal activity
Supplier-required identity verification
Some Suppliers only take bookings from customers with verified identity. This may include a confirmed Government ID.
What we may ask you for
As part of the identity verification process, we may ask you to provide us with:
- Legal name, address, and/or other personal information. Often, these are sufficient for us to verify your identity.
- Photo of your Government ID. This could be a driver’s license, passport, identity card, or visa. Learn more about types of Government ID.
- Selfie. We may need to ask you for a photograph along with your Government ID. If you can’t provide a selfie that matches your Government ID, you can contact us for an alternative verification method.
Verifying your identity in your account settings
You can always verify your ID in your account settings by submitting a photo of your Government ID. You can do this when setting up an account—or when updating your account details.
Note: Identity verification by Star Macs isn’t an endorsement, a guarantee of someone’s identity, or an assurance that interacting with them will be safe. Always use your own best judgment, and follow our safety tips for customers and Suppliers.
When we verify your identity
When you’re booking a stay that requires identity verification, this step occurs during checkout and usually takes under a minute to complete.
If we are unable to verify your identity using the details you provide when making the booking, we’ll ask you to verify your identity in another way—such as with your Government ID. The quicker you can provide this information, the quicker we can confirm your booking and help get you on your way.
Note: It is very important that you provide us with the necessary information as soon as you can. If we are unable to verify your identity within 12 hours of the booking request, your booking will be canceled.
If you are a Supplier creating a new listing and have been asked to verify your identity using your government ID or other information, you have 24 hours to complete the identity verification process. This includes the time to provide the information we have requested— and for us to verify your identity.
Once we have confirmed your identity, you can start taking bookings.
What we share
- First name. This is your first name as it appears on your profile.
- Verification status. Whether your identity has been verified.
How we manage your data
Only authorized Star Macs employees can access the information you submit. All information is stored and transmitted using secure encryption. We keep your data only for as long as needed to comply with applicable laws and other legal requirements, including:
- Time necessary to meet safety and anti-fraud requirements
- Upholding Star Macs’ community guidelines
- Compliance with anti-money laundering requirements
- Compliance with payments and tax laws
We delete personal data consistent with applicable law when a data subject rights deletion request is processed.